Monday, January 25, 2010

A bigger workshop

I'd like a bigger workshop. I think everyone I know that does woodworking wants a bigger shop. The annual workshop issues from Wood Magazine often get me drooling, and I think one day I'll get there.

However I haven't spent a lot of time in the garage shop over the last few years, mainly because it's been a huge mess. This past New Years I decided that I would spend time cleaning the garage and getting more organized, and I've been surprised how much I got done in 5 or 6 hours over the last few weeks. I can find more things, and I started building a few more organization projects that would let me find things as well as stay organized as I tackle projects.

This week I found myself looking at shed kits, thinking that maybe I could put together a space outside and make it my own. Living on a small ranch, this barn kit is tempting, and maybe I'll do one someday. I'd like to build one, put on some passive solar heating on one side, and make it a space that stays relatively warm in the winters. I think that is a good goal, but for now I want to put it aside. Once I've done more woodworking and it seems like a good project, I'll look to tackle it.

In addition I think I need to learn a few more things about how I want the space to look. I've gone from wanting 1,000sq ft to thinking that perhaps 400 is plenty, and that I ought to be more organized. So I'll put down thoughts, link to those I find interesting, and put up more photos as I organize things.

In the meantime I'll be making as few permanent changes to my garage, putting lots of mobile things together, and getting more use out of what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment