I knocked off a little early yesterday and did some work on the shelter. It’s coming along nicely. I had planned on only adding the joists on the right side, but when I lost my hammer to the rest of the family for some horse chores, I adapted and started on plywood.
I had planned on putting the plywood up there sideways, and only covering half of the shelter, but I decided to cover it completely, giving a little more shelter and warmth in winter. Plus it should improve structural integrity and a little durability.
The plywood needs to be cut, as every piece is a different shape with the land sloping. I had to put every piece up there and cut it to fit the shape of the roof. I made the measurements as well for ordering metal.
There’s one problem:
The first few pieces I put in had a gap. When I measured the roof, and then base again, I realized that the posts had warped or bent slightly, pulling the SW corner further away at the top of the post. So much for wood being straight, or remaining so.
It’s not a lot, and I could leave it, but it’s bugging me, so I think I’ll pull up this plywood from the roof and tie in the fronts square. It means recutting the joists, but that’s not a big deal. It won’t take that long and I’ll feel better.
Now I need to get to the store and purchase a few more sheets of OSB.